Saturday, April 17, 2010

one to ponder

i am inspired today by a friend. having been under the weather i will skip my usual lesson or challenge to just write a little blog about photography in our lives. my friend is in georgia with her family right now. her grandfather passed away a little over 13 hours ago. what inspired me was on this trip she brought her camera, a companion who has become more and more an extension of herself, and she stepped outside and took pictures. i think back in my own life to moments when life itself wasn't so pretty...and yet...i grabbed my camera and went out and found some pretty....darn it.

life isn't always going to be rainbows and unicorns. sadly we humans can love. sadly because when you love, you can also lose. to step away from loss and grief and pain and sorrow...loneliness or even self pity...and to go out and take a picture that is beautiful..

well... its therapy.

only much much cheaper than a person who charges you by the hour.
more times than i can count i have turned to photography to express myself as much as to capture something. the pictures she took were moving to me. they were her grandparents home...their yard.

they told a story that i can't fully express in this blog (the pictures do the telling better).

you see..i too have lost a grandparent. and i think she captured a memory she knew she needed to hold onto. tightly.

i have actually lost three grandparents. and each loss changed my family forever. no family gathering has been the same since. houses have been sold and bought...

changes like that have never been easy for me. and by looking at her pictures, and seeing the yard, the vines, the flowers, the kids smiling... i am reminded of my own family on the edge of loss and change. i only wish i had managed to capture with such simplicity the places that meant so much.

bravo amanda.

as i was searching for a picture to add i came across albums from my families trip to maine before joel's grandfather passed away. i was pleased to find it because it fits nicely here. looking at those pictures captures a time we will always want to hold on tight to. the picture is of CJ (little courtney) and par (big courtney)

1 comment:

  1. I am just now getting around to catching up on everyone's blogs. It's funny because when I was taking pictures on that trip, I wasn't even thinking really about making a memory. I was just inspired to capture Poppy in the legacy he left behind. I, too, am down to my last grandparent and wish I had the opportunity to take more pictures of my other trips to visit them.

    ReplyDelete